2 people found this helpful
New Cushelle tissues, so soft, yet strong and washing machine resistant
Nasal congestion is tiresome at any time but having a blocked nose at night is literally tiring – especially when you can’t nod off. Once you know how to deal with a nose blocked during sleep, though, you can get more comfortable. Here’s how to sleep well with a cold.
Blocked nose at night remedies
Before we get onto tips like the best blocked-nose sleeping position, let’s talk home remedies. Having a stuffy nose at night is often the result of a cold, and there are a number of things you can do before bed to deal with a blocked nose at night.
Remedies that help ease congestion during the day will at least help you hit the hay feeling reasonably clear. These include:
- Staying hydrated.
- Steaming to clear airways.
- Warm compresses over your nose.
- Herbal teas – ginger is particularly good.
- Resting. That will give your body the best chance to sort out your cold. In turn, you’ll find it easier to deal with the results of a nose blocked during sleep.
There are also plenty of over-the-counter medicines that can help, too. Just check with your pharmacist before taking anything. Now, onto how to sleep well with a cold.
The best way to sleep with a blocked nose
All of the above remedies will help, and can be used during the night, but there are some more specific things you can do too. These are some of the best:
- Don’t stress. Not being able to sleep is really annoying, but that the problem could get worse if we stress about it. Sometimes accepting the situation will actually help you sleep. The more relaxed you are, the more likely you are to nod off. Do some deep breathing, even listen to a little soothing music – whatever you need to do to chill out and let sleep take your body over.
- Try a humidifier. Having a room full of dry air can cause irritation, so the more humidity you can get the better. You can buy a humidifier or place a bowl of water with a few drops of essential oil by your bedside to help ease the congestion.
Keep a box of soft Cushelle Cube Tissues at your bedside. You can use them to blow your nose and dip one in some eucalyptus oil to help clear your airways when you wake too.
- Perfect your sleeping position. Comfort is key when you’re trying to catch some zzzs and finding the right blocked-nose sleeping position is certainly going to help. As we sleep, mucus doesn’t drain as effectively. That makes the nose even more blocked. So, the best way to sleep with a blocked nose is to prop your head up on an extra pillow or two. Also, it’s best to sleep on your side if you can as lying on your back could make things worse.
Now you’ve got a plan for dealing with a blocked nose at night you can look forward to a more restful sleep. Follow these tips and you should be able to deal with a stuffy nose at night much more easily. Give them a try and rest easy.