2 people found this helpful
New Cushelle tissues, so soft, yet strong and washing machine resistant
What can cause dry eyes? However, whatever the cause, there’s plenty you can do to feel fresher and more comfortable. From figuring out why dry eyes occur and what dry eye symptoms are, to how to soothe and how to avoid them in the future, here are our top tips.
What can cause dry eyes?
Before looking at the symptoms of dry eyes and how to avoid them, it’s important to know why it happens. Dry eyes can be unsettling when you don’t know what’s behind them. There are a number of reasons for dry eyes – here are some of the most common:
- Age. You’re more likely to suffer from dry eyes as you get older.
- Screens. Staring at TVs, phones or computer screens for a long time can dry out your eyes.
- Air conditioning and/or home heating.
- Weather. Coldness, winds, dry heat etc. can all cause irritation.
- Contact lenses.
- Alcohol and smoking.
- Medical conditions. Certain conditions and medicines can cause dry eyes – seek medical advice if you’re in any doubt.
What are the symptoms of dry eyes?
Whether it’s a sting or an itch, there are plenty of signs of dry eyes that can lead to discomfort. Here are some examples dry eye symptoms:
- Redness and/or soreness.
- Scratchy, gritty or itchy sensations.
- Blurred vision.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Watery eyes. Dry eyes cause excessive tears sometimes, which is a result of the body’s way of providing extra lubrication.
If you suffer from dry eyes, keep a pack of Cushelle Pocket Tissues with you – they’re more than up to the task of wiping away your tears and are super soft too, providing you with the comfort you need.
How to soothe dry irritated eyes
Should you experience signs of dry eyes, you’ll want to know how to soothe them. These two tips will provide you with some relief:
- Cold compresses. Place over the eye and the coolness will provide a soothing sensation.
- Artificial tears. Over-the-counter drops help to provide extra lubrication when your eyes aren’t producing enough of their own.
How to avoid what causes dry eyes
Having strategies in place to soothe dry irritated eyes is one thing but, as with most conditions, prevention is better than cure. That might not always be possible, but the following tips should really help:
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Take regular breaks from screen time.
- Give your eyes a rest from contact lenses by wearing glasses from time to time.
- Use a humidifier in your home.
- Keep your eyes clean.
- Stop smoking and limit alcohol intake.
As always, consult your doctor if there’s anything you’re unsure of. Now that you know how to soothe and avoid the irritation, you can take action whenever dry eyes occur.