As well as being kind to skin and fluffy-soft, clean cosmetic brushes are always best for applying makeup perfectly. For clear skin and great makeup results, keeping your brushes fresh makes a real difference. But how do you clean makeup brushes? What’s best way to clean makeup brushes thoroughly? Here’s how to wash make up brushes easily so you can always get the best results.
Washing makeup brushes daily
When it comes to how to clean your makeup brushes on a daily basis, it’s a good idea to use a wet wipe and a tissue, as this will remove excess makeup and oil before it has chance to build up. Simply swirl your brushes around on the wipe gently until you can’t see any makeup coming off, before drying it off with a strong dry facial tissue, like Cushelle.
Washing makeup brushes weekly
As for how to clean your makeup brushes every week or two (depending how often you use them), a more thorough clean is best. You can get different kinds of specialist brush cleaning products, so it’s a good idea to check the packaging of your brushes to see what they recommend. For example, how to clean foundation brush bristles is subtly different to how to clean an eye shadow brush.
If you don’t have the packet and want to know how do you clean makeup brushes with a homemade alternative, try this easy and inexpensive 5-step process.
How to clean makeup brushes at home in 5 steps
This is the best way to clean makeup brushes when you don’t have any specialist products to hand. Learn how to clean make-up brush bristles with that bathroom staple – a facial cleanser – using these easy steps:
- Pop on some clean rubber gloves and squeeze a small amount of your usual rinse-off facial cleanser into the palm of your hand.
- Swirl the brush around in the product, making sure it gets into all of the fibres
- Hold the brush diagonally downwards under a steady stream of cold water to rinse the cleanser out of the fibres. Avoid excessive water contact with the handle and dry immediately afterwards. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the water runs clear.
- Gently squeeze the excess water out of the brush using a soft facial tissue to protect the delicate fibres and reshape it into its original shape while wet. Leave the bristles to air-dry over the edge of a table.
- Give your brush a quick fluff once it’s fully dry and you’re good to go!
Facial tissues are ideal for drying delicate brushes. To avoid wet tissue lint getting stuck on the bristles, use Cushelle facial tissues. They’re strong enough to stay intact even if you accidentally leave them in a pocket when you do the laundry – so they won’t flake on your brushes either!
How to clean makeup brushes at home: how to tell they need a clean
There’s no exact science to the regularity of how to wash makeup brushes; it will depend on how regularly you use them. A good way to check if they need a clean is to look for signs of old makeup. It’s obvious when it comes to brushes for liquid foundation or concealer because the bristles clump together.
That’s signs for how to clean foundation brush bristles sorted, but what about a powder brush? If the bristles are a rainbow of colour, you know it needs some TLC.
And that’s it – everything you need to know about how to clean make-up brush bristles. Well-maintained makeup brushes will not only help to fight spot breakouts, they’ll also achieve better results with your makeup. It’s a win-win.