New Cushelle tissues, so soft, yet strong and washing machine resistant
Trick or treat? Halloween is one of the craftiest times of the year, and with our DIY Halloween costume ideas for kids, the whole family can join in. Below, we’ll show you homemade costume ideas for kids as well as some creative DIY costume ideas for kids this Halloween. Our homemade Halloween costume ideas will have you spooking around the house in no time. Ready? Let’s get scary.
We’ll be using paint, and for that extra spooky sparkle, glitter and glue! Have some Cushelle facial tissues ready to wipe away any excess sparkles once you’ve finished making your homemade costumes for kids.
Halloween costume ideas for children: Magic hats
Takes about a day (including drying time)
What you’ll need
- 2 Empty Cushelle facial tissue boxes
- Kitchen paper
- Sticky tape
- Side plate
- Paint brush
- Star templates
- First, cut open and flatten an empty Cushelle facial tissue box. Trim the ends, and then roll into a cone shape. Secure in place with sticky tape, and then cut off the excess card around the bottom of the cone.
- Next, cut open and flatten the other empty Cushelle facial tissue box. Place a side plate in the middle, draw around it, and cut out. Now do the same with the cone; place the cone in the middle, draw around it, and cut out. Stick the parts together with tape.
- Now it’s time to tear the kitchen paper into pieces and stick to the surface of the hat, using an adhesive mixture of two parts glue to one-part water. Add a couple of layers to your hat before allowing it to dry somewhere warm.
- Paint the hat in colours of your choosing and leave to dry. Don’t worry about making a mess! Draw round the star templates, paint with glue and spookily sprinkle with glitter.
- Finally, make some holes in the brim of the hat and thread with elastic.
Hats off to you, you’ve succeeded in making a really creative Halloween costume idea for kids! Time to show off your DIY children’s Halloween costume-making skills.
DIY costumes for kids: Spooky masks
Takes about 6 hours (including drying time)
What you’ll need
- Empty Cushelle facial tissue box
- Kitchen paper
- Mask and flower templates
- Colouring pens
- First cut open and flatten an empty Cushelle facial tissue box. Place the mask template in the middle, draw around it, and then cut out, including the eyes, nose and slits at the top and sides.
- Next, decorate the mask with hearts, flowers, leaves, and spots using bright colouring pens. The best Halloween costume ideas for children will result from letting your imagination go… get creative and have fun with your DIY Halloween mask.
- Now it’s time to fold the mask into shape. Leave the slits overlapping and secure in place with glue. Allow to dry.
- Meanwhile, dissolve some dye in a large bowl of water and submerge a sheet of kitchen paper. Allow the colour to soak up the paper, then remove and lay on sheets of newspaper. Repeat using different bright colours, and then leave the sheets to dry in a warm place.
- Next, layer the dyed sheets of kitchen paper together and cut out flower shapes using the templates. Scrunch the flowers from the centre and glue to the top of the mask.
- Finally, make some holes in the sides of the mask and thread some elastic through to make a strap. And ta-da! You’ve finished your DIY children’s Halloween costume.
Our DIY Halloween costume ideas for kid’s templates can be used to make different spooky characters. Here’s how to finish off your creative Halloween costumes for kids with a different flourish:
To finish your homemade costume for kids with a pumpkin, simply adapt the eyes, nose, and mouth, and paint the mask orange, before adding a green-coloured, twisted Cushelle toilet paper stalk.
Or if you fancy going with a mummy for your DIY costume for kids, paint the mask black before covering with strips of ‘bandages’ made from Cushelle toilet paper.