Kids will be the envy of their classmates when they show off this funky DIY pencil holder. Not only will you get a useful desk accessory, but you’ll be doing your bit for the environment too; your Cushelle toilet roll tubes will come into their own when they’re fashioned into this handy pencil pot!
This DIY pencil pot craft activity also involves very little mess – all you’ll need is some extra-absorbent and strong kitchen towel for cleaning up afterwards. Ready to learn how to make a pencil case out of empty Cushelle toilet rolls? Read on for our easy DIY pencil case tutorial.
Takes about 1.5 hours
What you’ll need
- 5 Cushelle toilet roll tubes
- Empty Cushelle tissue box
- Wrapping paper
- Hot glue gun
When you make your own pencil pot, we recommend that a responsible adult does the cutting and hot gluing, and any little assistants can take care of the painting and assembly.
- Carefully measure and cut the toilet roll tubes down to several different lengths. You can do as many as you like – the more you do the bigger and more varied your pencil pot will be!
- Next, paint the insides of the tubes in different colours to match your wrapping paper, and leave to dry.
- Place the tubes on the wrapping paper and measure and cut pieces to cover the outsides. Then neatly wrap and stick in place with glue.
- Glue the tubes together one by one in a group with a hot glue gun. This is an adult’s job, but get the kids involved with the art direction!
- Open and flatten the empty tissue box, and glue the group to the middle. When dry, draw around the bottom edges of the tubes with a pencil, and cut it out.
- Admire your finished pen pot and populate it with your favourite stationary. You can even store rulers, rubbers and paintbrushes in your DIY pencil holder.
Glue can get messy, but it’s much easier to clean up if you give it a wipe when it’s still wet. Keep a piece of absorbent kitchen towel to hand so you and the kids can wipe up as you go.
Now you know how to make pen holder pots, you and the kids can create unique sets for all their friends. You can make your own pencil pot in all the colours of the rainbow, or use different shades of their friends’ favourite colours. How about adding some stickers onto your DIY pencil pot? After learning the basics of how to make a pencil pot there are lots of ways you can experiment with personalising them.
Once they’ve got a DIY pencil holder for desk spaces, your kids will find it easy to keep their creative space tidy. Happy crafting!
- 2 Cheap DIY Fancy Dress Ideas Kids Will Love
- 2 Craft Activities and Energetic Games for 4-Year-Olds
- 2 Creative Kids' Birthday Decoration Ideas
- 2 Easy Easter Crafts for Kids
- 2 Easy Ways to Make Wool Pom Poms
- 2 Mother’s Day Craft Ideas She’ll Keep Forever
- 2 scarily simple Halloween crafts for kids
- 3 DIY Cat Toys That'll Look Great in the Living Room
- 3 Garden Activities for Kids With Green Fingers
- 5 Lively and Fun Family Games for All Occasions
- Baby Activities: Play Ideas for Their First Year
- Beautiful Recycled Cardboard Wall Decorations
- Easy Painting Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- Fast and easy Christmas craft ideas to decorate your tree
- How to Make a Bird Feeder for The Garden
- How to Make a Magic Village Advent Calendar for Kids
- How to Make a Perpetual Calendar
- How to Make an Original Pencil Pot Using Toilet Roll Tubes
- How to Make Hamster and Gerbil Toys
- How to Make Paper Flowers
- How to make puppets for kids – the easy way
- Smart and Crafty Activities for 5-Year-Olds
- Surprisingly Original Toilet Paper Storage Idea
- The Most Creative Toilet Roll Crafts Around
Didn't find what you were looking for?